Low clearance garage door is a daunting task for those who are not experienced with the installation of low clearance door openers. The most significant challenge in installing a low clearance garage door is retaining the existing height.
Even a couple of inches of height loss mean wastage of significant space and added frustration from the time spent on installing the opener.
It’s important to proceed with caution with low clearance garage door opener to ensure that you are buying the right product.
Here are some important tips that you can follow when shopping and installing a low clearance garage door opener.
If you have reasonable mechanical skills, it’s pretty easy to install garage doors and the cost can be reduced by at least 40% by DIY installation. If you’re not sure that you can do the job by yourself, it’s a great idea inviting your friend for a helping hand.
Buying Tips for Low Clearance Garage Door Openers
First of all, you can’t afford to lose a lot of space after installing the new opener, so the first thing you should be reading is the amount of headroom the opener is going to consume.
Even a couple of inches make a huge difference, so be sure you are not ignoring this fact. Secondly, the installation is definitely a time-consuming task so you should make sure that you’re not going to do this frequently.
There is only way to assure this: going for a high quality low clearance opener for garage!
In general, these are the things you should keep in mind:
- Try to save as much as height you can. Even if the new opener can save you ½ inches, it’s a great advantage.
- Always go for high quality openers as their longer life span will guarantee lesser maintenance and solid fitment of your door. You should also consider the manufacturer and warranty period in your purchasing decision-making factors.
- If you’re living in wind risk areas, buy openers that have excellent wind resistance to guarantee the safety of your garage door.
- The last thing you need in a bad weather is your car getting stuck in the garage due to a weak door opener!
- This may sound too difficult to come true but this can happen in certain instances. The best way to figure out the quality and the credibility of the product is looking at its customer reviews.
Installation of a Low Clearance Garage Door Opener
It’s extremely important to buy a garage door opener with an easy to understand user manual so that you can finish the installation pretty fast.
If you already have an installed door, buy openers that can be added to any installations. Before proceeding with the installation, make sure you have every necessary tool and components to carry out the work. If the manufacturer didn’t send you an important component or the need for additional nuts or bolts arise in the process, you will have to run to the hardware store in the middle of a job.
To avoid this, prepare a checklist to make sure that you have everything you needed to carry out the task and this will give you less stress while installing.
It’s important to check the mechanism of your newly installed door opener before parking your car in the garage to ensure that it’s functioning normally.
With a carefully evaluated plan, it’s extremely easy to buy a low clearance garage door opener and carry out a professional installation that can regain the structural integrity of your garage door while ensuring better and smoother operation.